What are you looking for?
Raven has a variety of different resources depending on what you are looking for.
For information on Bin Purchases as well as individual facts on a variety of recyclable products please choose from an item on the left.
Some Interesting General Recycling Information
Some of these facts may be a few years old, so we can’t attest to the full accuracy of these statements. These are meant to be thought provoking more than anything else.
- Only 1 percent of the world’s water supply is usable; 97 percent is in the ocean and 2 percent is frozen.
- Every Sunday, Americans waste 90 percent of recyclable newspapers. This wastes 500,000 trees!
- One pound of newspaper can be recycled to make 6 cereal boxes, 6 egg cartons or 2,000 sheets of writing paper.
- 90% of all US households buy greeting cards, with American consumers purchasing approximately 7 billion greeting cards each year. In the UK, a typical year sees over 2 billion cards sold. Between just those two countries, if the purchased cards were aligned end-to-end, they would stretch around the world 54 times.
- In Britain, over 9 million “nappies” or disposable diapers, are used every day.
- Making recycled paper instead of new paper uses 64 percent less energy and uses 58 percent less water.
- Each ton of recycled paper can save 17 trees, 380 gallons of oil, three cubic yards of landfill space, 4,000 kilowatts of energy and 7,000 gallons of water!
- Paper products make up the largest part (approximately 40 percent) of our trash.
- 25 two litre pop bottles can be recycled into an adult-size fleece jacket.
- 5 billion drink boxes are thrown away each year in North America.
Some Categorized Info
Electronic Waste or “E-waste”